Today was again supermarket sushi: $12.78 for the two choices, or $6.39 per serve.
Tonights Quinoa Chowder with Spinach, Feta, and Scallions recipe comes courtesy of Chowhound. We dropped the cilantro – yep, we’re in the group that doesn’t like it. We used leek instead of the scallions, and soft poached eggs nstead of the hard boiled eggs Chowhound want to use.
Chowhound say 2-4 serves, and it turns out four seems to be right.
- Quinoa – $3.49 for the packet, but we’re only using about 1/4 or 22c a serve
- Olive oil about 15c
- Garlic clove – 5c a serve
- Chipotle pepper substituting for the jalapeño – 10c a serve
- Yukon Gold potatoes (about 1 large potato) – $1.56 of which this recipe uses 1/4 – 10c a serve
- Seasonings -15c a serve
- Leek (in place of the scallions) – 35 a serve
- Spinach leaves from the balcony garden – 0c a serve.
- We used the whole 8oz of Feta cheese in the $5 pack – $1.25 a serve
- Organic egg, 50c per serve
Tonight’s soup cost us $2.72 a serve plus 20c for a slice of toast to dip in the egg yolk.