We both felt like something ‘eggy’ so we decided on fried eggs on the sprouted multigrain toast with a smear of vegemite, which brings a little umami and salt to the dish.
- The toast is 39c per two slice serve
- Pastured eggs are 50c each, or $1.00 per serve
- Add 5c for vegemite.
Lunch today cost $1.44 per serve.
For dinner we used a cross rib steak for Pioneer Woman’s Pot Roast which we’ve enjoyed in the past. This is not a great cut of meat so marinating or slow braising in a pot roast is a great way to get the best from the protein. We had a roast of just over two pounds, which we duly consumed among the three of us, although Philip had a double serve.
We served with cauliflower mash.
- The roast was $21.37 or $5.34 per serve
- Onions are 20c per serve
- The carrots were 69c or 35c per serve
- One cup of red wine is around $1.33 or 67c a serve
- Two cups of broth is half a $1.99 carton or 50c per serve
- The mushrooms were $1.99 or $1 a serve
- The Rosemary came from our own plant
- Add another 15c for oil, seasoning and Thyme
- The organic cauliflower cost $4.20 but we got six serves, so 70c per serve.
Tonight’s dinner cost $8.91 for the pot roast meal.