For lunch we went back to our gyro/yeros meat.
- The fully cooked sliced gyro/yeros meat is $3.99 per 10oz pack. There are really four serves, so each serve is very slightly cheaper than the chicken, at $1.00 per serve.
- The flatbread is 50c per serve
- Hummus is $3.99 per container and we used about 1/6 or 33c per serve
- We served 1/4 of the tabouli salad or 67c per serve.
Lunch today cost $2.50.
A return to a favorite that we haven’t had since last May:2 Frogmore Stew. Think southern boil with potatoes, shrimp, corn, etc, but where the stewing liquid is turned into a sauce.
The recipe serves six (at least). We keep the shrimp out of the soupy mix until each meal, cooking only enough for that meal to prevent the shrimp over-cooking when reheating.
- Leaks cost $2.00 or 33c per serve
- A pack of arugula is $3.50 or 58c per serve
- Two cans of tomato juice instead of tomatoes and juice, $3.79 or 63c per serve
- The fish stock was $3.99 or 67c per serve
- A cup of white wine is about 80c or 15c per serve
- We used about half of the $3.99 pack of potatoes, or 33c per serve
- The corn cost $2.99 or 50c per serve
- Andouille sausage cost $4.99 or 83c per serve
- Shrimp cost $3.00 per very, very generous serve
- We served with a par-baked garlic bread – $3.99 for the loaf (expensive for bread but delicious) or 67c per serve
- Other ingredients add another 25c per serve.
Dinner tonight cost us $7.94 per serve.