For lunch we reheated the Smokey Cheese and Pumpkin slice remaining, and paired it with a chickpea balela.
- The slice cost $4.17 per serve, although neither of us finished it at lunchtime
- The container of balela was $2.69 or $1.35 per serve.
Lunch today was more than we could eat for $5.52
A new recipe for us: Pork, Shiitake and Edamame in Coconut Cream Sauce. We cut back on the mushrooms and pork to make a dish for two (very generous) serves. Instead of cooking pork from scratch we used the Trader Joe’s fully cooked pork belly, that was fried off first render out some fat and get some maillard reaction on the surfaces.
- 12 oz of pork bellow is $6.49 or $3.25 per serve
- Coconut milk was $1.69 or 85c per serve
- Shelled edamame was $1.29 or 65c per serve
- Shitake mushrooms are $2.99 or $1.50 per serve
- Add 25c for garlic, shallot and seasonings
- Add 30c for rice.
Tonight’s dinner was excellent and a recipe we’ll be repeating. For $7.00 a serve, it’s hard to work out how it could be better. And yes, this is another “pork and beans” recipe!