Today’s sandwiches use up the last of the egg mix and finish the pastrami.
- The sprouted wholemeal is $3.49 a loaf with 18 slices, or 39c per two slice sandwich
- The sliced pastrami is $4.99 per pack, but we’ll get three sandwiches from that, or 83c per serve
- The sliced yoghurt cheese is $4.79 a pack of 12 slices, or 80c per slice or 40c per serve
- The tomato chutney was made by Philip’s brother in Australia
- Pastured eggs are 50c each and we used labné instead of mayonnaise to create enough to make two sandwiches, or 25c per serve
- Watercress adds 5c per serve.
The sandwiches today were interesting, although we overdid the labné in the egg a little. Lunch today cost $1.92 with good variety.
Although the recipe uses beef, we opted to use ground pork instead, which worked really well. Pork Larb is a new recipe for us, but definitely one we’ll repeat.
There are four serves in the dish, particularly when you use 1lb of pork, instead of half that in the recipe.
- The ground pork was $8.36 or $2.09 per serve
- Allowing 50c per serve for the remaining ingredients would be generous
- Cucumber adds 50c per serve
- Bean sprouts add 14c per serve
- Organic baby carrots were $1.69 for the pack, of which we used half, or 43c per serve
- Radishes were 99c or 25c per serve.
The Larb is very good, along with the fresh vegetables make a perfect hot weather meal for $3.91 per serve.