We’ve enjoyed smoked salmon on a bagel and on crisp bread so why not on a sprouted rye sandwich? So we did.
- Two slices of bread are 39c
- Smoked salmon $5.99 for the 4oz pack or $3.00 a serve
- The soft cheese of choice was Neufschatel at $2.99 for the block, of which we used 1/4 or 38c
- Add 15c for capers and shallot.
Smoked salmon works as a sandwich. We preferred it to the somewhat doughy consistency of a bagel. Not bad for $3.92 per serve.
As we finished up in Santa Monica a little earlier than expected, we decided to brave the -still growing – traffic and drive home earlier, up through Topanga Canyon.
As we’d previously planned to eat in Santa Monica to wait out the traffic, we had no specific plans for dinner, which had to change. We still had chicken legs (thigh and drumstick) so we stopped in at our local supermarkets and picked up a Mediterranean Crunch Salad with balsamic dressing.
We’ve had good experiences with these Taylor Farms salad kits, and this one was no exception. We added a little of the tomato sauce from last night’s dinner, which was great with the chicken.
- Chicken leg is $1.75
- The salad kit is $3.50 but makes four serves, or 88c per serve.
An impromptu meal, admittedly with semi prepared (but minimally processed) ingredients, but still tasty and nutritious for $2.63 per serve.