We decided the tomato mayo toasted sandwich was worth repeating (and we still had half a tomato to use) but we mixed it up by toasting a cauliflower curry pickle with cheese.
- Two slices of bread are 32c per serve
- The organic tomato was 74c and we shared half, or 19c per serve
- 12 slices of yoghurt cheese are $4.79 and we shared one or 20c per serve
- Add 33c for Wildbrine Madras Curry and Cauliflower Sauerkraut salad
- Add 30c for mayo and butter.
Lunch today was an enjoyable combination of warm sandwiches, which was perfect on a relatively cold, windy day, for $1.34 per serve.
A return to a favorite:bacon and black bean chili with all the “fixin’s”: crème fraîche, cheddar and avocado. The recipe makes six serves.
- The ground beef was $8.95 or $1.49 per serve
- The beans are $1.00 per can and we used two, or 33c per serve
- Canned tomatoes were $1.29 or 22c per serve
- Tomato paste was 79c or 13c per serve
- Bacon is $6.99 for the pack and we used half, or 39c per serve
- Add 30c per serve for seasoning
- The avocado was $1.25 (it was big) or 63c per serve
- Instead of crème fraîche and cheddar we used labné, a yoghurt cheese that adds about 25c per serve.
This is a great recipe and we always enjoy it. The chili is $2.86 per serve and the toppings add 88c for a total of $3.74 per serve.