The end of a hiking trip took us past our favorite Vietnamese restaurant (Pho Saigon) so we ordered ahead and collected two Bahn Mi, which were excellent, as they have been every other time.
Great food for $8.50 per serve.
With a pork shoulder in our Prather Ranch meat delivery, we chose a cider braised technique, although we decided on apple cider vinegar instead of apple cider because it is less sweet. We didn’t feel the need to balance with any added sweetness.
The pork will make five serves, although only two with the rainbow carrots. Fun fact: carrots were always a variety of colors until the 1500’s when an orange version was bred for the Dutch Royal Family.
We served with a baked apple, which neither of us completely finished, and the last 1/3 of the BBQ Ranch salad, split two ways.
- 2.8 lbs of pork butt was $24.42 or $4.88 per serve
- Carrots were $1.69 for the pack, of which we used half, or 28c per serve
- Onion and celery adds 15c per serve
- Apple Cider vinegar adds 15c per serve
- The rainbow carrots were$3.99 a lb or $1.00 per serve
- The Granny Smith apples were $1.89 or 95c per serve
- The salad kit was $1.79 and we use 1/3 or 30c per serve.
Dinner tonight had a good balance of flavor between the tender pork, the crunchy carrots and a little sweet tartness from the apple. Not bad for $7.71 per serve.