Having picked up a friend from the train, we headed straight to The Country Deli, where Foodie Philip had his usual steak – as did our guest – and Foodie Greg had a French Dip.
Lunch at The Country Deli runs $21.62 per person (average) with tax and tip.
We decided on Dutch Mustard Soup, made with actual Dutch Mustard, for dinner
Like a creamy, mustard version of French onion soup, this recipe is outstanding. The lardons of bacon give it a meaty flavor and texture, without dominating the dish. The onion and leek add sweetness, offset by the sharpness of the mustard, with the heavy cream (in our version) moderating the flavors.
- Bacon ends and pieces cost $3.99 or 50c per serve
- Yellow onions were $2.79 for 2 lb, or 23c per serve
- The leek was $1.38 or 35c per serve
- Add 10c for butter
- Garlic adds 5c per serve
- Sour cream adds 50c per serve
- Mustard adds 25c per serve
- Add 20c for the remaining seasoning.
Dinner tonight was easy to prepare, delicious and only $2.18 per serve.