Our toasted sandwiches today were both “Moon Touched” (aka semi-dried) cherry tomatoes with Swiss cheese and mayo.
- Two slices of bread are 32c per serve
- The bag of baby manzano tomato was $2.79 and we used about 1/3 or 47c per serve
- Swiss slices are 12 for $3.99 or 17c per serve
- Add 20c for mayo.
It was a really good sandwich, proving that simple can be great if the ingredients are top notch, for $1.16 per serve.
Since it was both warm enough to grill and to eat outside, we postponed the meatloaf again, and opted for Top Sirloin with Peanut (Satay) sauce. The marinade is well worth the effort because it improves the flavor and promotes the grill marks.
The sprouts and cucumber salad was an experiment. It was nice enough but felt incomplete: like it could be enhanced in some way.
- The steak was $12.79 or $6.40 per serve
- The cucumber was 49c or 25c per serve
- The bean sprouts were $1.49 or 75c per serve
- Add 50c for the marinade ingredients
- Add 30c for dressing ingredients
- Black rice adds 44c per serve.
The star of the meal was definitely the steak and satay sauce. The salad and rice were good backup flavors, but the salad needs something more. All up a good meal for $9.39 per serve.