We reverted to toasted sandwiches for a change. One Lemon Pepper Tuna and Swiss, the other Smoked Turkey breast with Olive Tapenade.
- The bread was 33c per serve
- The Lemon Pepper Tuna is $1.99 or $1.00 per serve
- The olive tapenade was $2.99 for the jar, but we used about one quarter, or 38c per serve
- The turkey is $3.49 and we shared ⅓ or 58c per serve
- Add 20c for garlic spread.
We shared both sandwiches for $2.49 per serve.
We tried another meatless alternative: this time Pulled BBQ Jackfruit with Rice and Cuban Beans. The Jackfruit “pulls” like pulled pork, and is flavored by the BBQ Sauce as they don’t have much flavor themselves.
- The Jackfruit were $3.98 for the two cans or $1.00 per serve
- Brown Rice is 33c per serve
- Canned Cuban Beans are 99c or 50c per serve
- Add 40c per serve for Apple Cider Vinegar, Molasses and Carolina BBQ Sauce.
The Jackfruit has an interesting texture that is not quite melting, but not as defined as pulled pork would be. Most of the flavor comes from the BBQ sauce, although we followed a recipe that had a lot of Apple Cider Vinegar in the early cook and we felt the Jackfruit took up a little too much so the acid was a little out of balance. We’ll do better next time, but this was a pretty good meal for $2.23 per serve.