We used the left over cheese from last night and added Kumato to make some tasty toasted sandwiches.
- The Dave’s Killer Bread is 66c per serve
- Five Kumato were $3.49 and we had one each, or 70c per serve
- The Cheese came free.
A decent sandwich for $1.36 per serve.
Before Christmas we picked up a Ham from Aldi for a ridiculous 49c per pound, or under $5.00 for 10 lb of ham. Instead of baking, as we have in the past, we decided to Sous Vidé it in an experiment to see if we could make it more tender. We expect to get at least eight serves.
Tonight we served with Choucroute Garni.
- Ham is 65c per serve
- Carrots were $1.99 or 50c per serve
- Sauerkraut was $4.99 or $1.25 per serve
- Rosé was $1.00 or 25c per serve
- Add 20c per serve for other ingredients.
While not a “controlled experiment” we decided the Aldi Ham was better than the Farmer John’s we’ve had in the past from Ralphs. There was a lot less water in the Aldi Ham, and it seemed to be more tender. Cooking Sous Vidé rendered the connective tissue and fat, making it much easier to break apart the Ham. All in all a good meal for $2.85 per serve.