For variation, today we toasted some excellent Pumpernickel Bread from Aldi, smeared with Dutch Mustard,* spread with Liverwurst and topped with chopped Shallot.
*We bring our Dutch Mustard back from the Netherlands after a conference each year. With that unlikely this year, we’re conserving supplies.
- The Pumpernickel Bread is 50c a generous slice.
- Liverwurst works out at 40c per serve
- Add 15c for Dutch Mustard and Shallot.
The bread took a long time to toast, but the way it was transformed into an intensely flavorsome toast was worth the wait. Overall, an excellent open sandwich for $1.05 per serve.
We returned to the Hot and Sour Beef Salad. We sous vidé the New York Strip then sliced it and dumped tin the Marinade and served on a bed of Greens and Mint.
- The NY Strip Steak was $20.18 or $10.09 per serve
- The Salad Greens mix was $1.99 but we shared half, or 50c per serve
- Limes were 49c for two but we shared one, or 13c per serve
- The Mint was from our garden
- Sugar Snap peas were $3.49 but we used ¼ or 44c per serve
- Instead of a Chili we used some Sambal Ulec, which adds 20c per serve.
We really enjoyed this salad. The slight heat in the dressing lifted both steak and salad to another level. An excellent meal for $11.36 per serve.