For lunch on this cold, rainy day we decided to go for a warming soup: Pilgrim Joe’s Clam Chowder. At $1.49 a can it’s both delicious and cheap. You’ll need to add a can full of milk at $3.80 a gallon. 15 oz is about 1/8 gallon or 48c total. Each serve was almost exactly $1. The Wholemeal Lite English Muffin we served with each soup is also about $1 per serve. (Usually less for us because we buy on a 2-for-1 special and freeze them.)
Tonight it’s time for Serious Eats’ Scotch broth. In what passes for the cold in LA, warming soups are definitely on the agenda. This recipe has four good serves, so prices are divided by 4 to get the per serve price.
Greg first pressure cooks the lamb shanks before adding them to the broth. His major variation from the written recipe is to use rutabaga (a.k.a. swede, turnip or keep) instead of the potato.
- Lamb shanks $8.87 or $2.22 a serve
- Parsnips 74c or 19c serve
- Carrots 38c or 10c serve
- Rutabaga (was rung up as turnip so might be off price) 81c or 20c serve
- Chicken Broth $2.29 or 57c serve
- Onion and other ingredients about 50c a serve (probably less)
Total cost about $3.75 a serve.