Back to our routine weekday lunch: chicken wraps. This week an Edamame & Bean salad.
- Roast chicken:$6.99 split four ways and into two serves today: 87c
- One quarter of the $2.74 salad is 69c
- The flatbread is 50c
- Add some hummus at 30c
Lunch today: $2.36 per serve
A long term favorite of ours, back when we had a certain pattern to our weekly meals, us Southern sausage, beens and rice. Tuesday was generally a bean dish of some kind. It’s surprising how many cultures have some kind of bean and rice dish: not coincidentally that combined rice and beans have all the amino acids needed for the body to create protein and grow muscle.
The recipe makes four serves and it basically just involves cutting up stuff, opening a couple of cans, and cooking some rice!
- The Andouille Sausage is the most expensive component at $1.10 per serve. Greg purchased carefully and got a double pack (8 sausages) for the price of a single pack elsewhere. Tonight’s dish only used half the purchase.
- Bell pepper: 20c per serve
- Onion: 20c per serve
- Fire roasted diced tomato (canned): 37c per serve
- We used kidney beans instead of pinto because they taste better: 40c a serve
- For the herbs, 15c a serve
- And the rice: 66c a serve
Dinner tonight cost $3.08 a serve. It’s a very tasty, warming stew with a little heat from the andouille.