Wild caught smoked salmon and avocado on a toasted English Muffin.
- Smoked salmon was sadly back to normal $7.99 or $4.00 a serve
- The English muffin is 50c a serve
- Avocado is on special at 69c each, or 35c per serve.
Lunch today cost $4.85
A return to the lemon chicken orzo soup. By using the precooked chicken this is a very quick dish to put together. We upped the amount of Meyer lemon – if a dish is supposed to taste lemony, let it taste of lemon!
It’s interesting how dishes get interpreted into a local variant based on what ingredients are available. For example, Lemon chicken is one of the ‘standard’ Chinese “dishes” in Australia. Lemons are abundant in Australia but not so much in the USA where oranges are the abundant citrus. Not co-incidentally Orange Chicken is quite common in American Chinese restaurants.
No doubt the original dish, in China, is cooked with sour plum or some other sour fruit. Sour Plum Chicken seems to be common in Taiwan.
- Celery, thyme, oil and garlic adds 20c per serve
- Chicken broth cost 40c per serve The store-bought rotisserie chicken breast is $1.74 for a breast, divided into four serves makes 44c per serve.
- The orzo is $1.42 for a 1 lb box, but only half was used for our three serves, or 24c per serve
- Carrots cost 25c or 8c per serve
- Add in 15 c for the other seasonings, etc.
Dinner tonight – on the table 30 minutes after we got home – cost $1.15 per serve. Even better, there’s enough left over for another two meals, so lunch Monday is taken care of.