Convenience won out again, and sushi was purchased during a supermarket trip. Combined the two packs cost $12.78 or $6.39 a serve.
Time to use up the final serves of Popeye’s fried chicken from Saturday. This time Greg cooked up a batch of home-made red beans and rice to go with it.
- Chicken is $2.50 a serve
- Onion, oil and garlic and seasonings about 15c per serve
- Each can of organic beans was 99c and we used three, or 50c per serve
- Instead of andouille sausage, we used a Kroger Simple Truth Lightly Smoked Sausage for $2.99 or 50c a serve
- Chicken broth $2.29 or 38c a serve
- And the rice: 33c a serve
Dinner tonight cost us $3.98 per serve. The best part of the meal was definitely the red beans!
Tip: When reheating fried foods, use a hot and dry oven. When reheating pastry product like a meat pie, place a bowl of boiling water in the over during reheating to avoid the pastry drying out.