Today was a recording of Lunch with Philip and Greg so we were in Pasadena at a small-chain pan-asian restaurant, although we had planned on the Vegan restaurant next door, but Tuesday is their day of rest.
With tax and tip our average was $14.25.
For dinner tonight we looked in the freeze and found some ground pork from our Prather Ranch mostly delivery. With that start in mind, we cooked Stir Fried Shanghai Noodles with Ground Pork and Napa Cabbage. The recipe makes four generous serves.
It was a fine meal. Even though we ramped up the ginger, we could have gone even further. We still had half a regular cabbage from our Corned Beef and Cabbage dinner, so we used that instead of a napa cabbage.
- The pork came from our Prather Ranch meat delivery – 1 lb of ground pork cost $8.31 or $2.08 per serve
- The pre-cooked organic noodles retail for $3.19 or 80c per serve
- The various seasonings add around 30c per serve
- We used one third of the $1.29 spring onion on two serves or 22c per serve
- The cabbage adds 21c per serve.
Tonight’s dinner, which probably needs the flavor ramping up with a little more ginger, cost $3.61 a serve. It was an interesting experiment in featuring the organic, direct-from-farm ground pork in a recipe that didn’t drown any experience of the pork flavor.