For lunch today we did a repeat of the March 8th lunch with Wildbrine Fermented Madras Curry & Cauliflower Sauerkraut substituting for the pickle. Interestingly, the flavor profile of the Wildbrine product is very similar to an English Piccalilli pickle.
- The bread was $2.99 or 75c per serve.
- The cheddar is $5.99 for the 8oz block or $1.13 per 1.5 oz serve
- The sauerkraut was $6.99 for 18 oz or 88c per serve.
Lunch today cost us $2.76
At Christmas and Easter most of the major supermarket chains have a loss-leader ham, which we duly purchased for 99c per lb. A generous 11 lbs we will be eating ham-based leftovers for a while!
Tonight we paired it with Choucroute Garnie, although in a very non-traditional variation, Greg left out sausage and any pork product. We figured the ham would be enough pork! We prepared a smaller batch with four serves.
The technique we used was to bring the ham to 130ºF before removing the skin, basting and returning to a hot oven to finish at 140ºF.
We served with a dressing foodie Philip came up with: a combination of pomegranate molasses, dijon mustard and horseradish. It has a perfect balance of earthiness, sweet, tart, savory and a little hot from the mustard.
- A generous serve of ham is 99c
- The sauerkraut is $2.99 a pack or 75c per serve
- The carrots were 50c or 13c per serve
- Potatoes add 50c per serve
- The ingredients for the sauce add 25c per serve
Dinner tonight was $2.62 per serve.