Burbank Monday so foodie Philip had the regular In and Out Double Double (animal style).
- Lunch today was $4.03
With the arrival of some massaman curry paste it was time to try a massaman curry. A simple recipe with potato, Thai eggplant and broccoli, we were underwhelmed with the result. We’ll try again tomorrow night with the addition of some peanut butter to bring the peanut flavor associated with massaman.
Thai eggplant is a small, round eggplant that looks more like a miniature water melon than a typical eggplant. We aren’t fans of basil so that was left out of the recipe. It also turns out -with some research – that it is more usual to add salt than fish sauce to a massaman curry.
- Thai eggplant – $2.99 or 75c per serve
- Red potatoes – 38c or 9c per serve
- A can if coconut milk is $1.59 or 40c per serve
- The organic broccoli was $3.49 or 87c per serve
- Limes were 78c or 19c per serve
- Add 15c for fish sauce and other seasonings
- A pound of ham was 99c or 25c per serve
- The sprouted brown rice was 66c per serve
Dinner tonight cost $3.36 a serve and, while it was quite tasty, we’ll do better.