Wild caught smoked salmon, cream cheese, capers on an onion bagel.
- Smoked salmon at Trader Joe’s is a little more expensive at $5.99 for the 4oz pack, or $3.00 per serve
- The pack of six onion bagels is $1.99 or 33c per serve
- Cream cheese pack is $1.69 and we used about 1/3 or 28c per serve
- Add 5c for capers.
Lunch today cost $3.66
Tonight we did a variation on Pioneer Woman’s Easy Chilli Rellenos. Once you have the basic concept down, it’s easy to create variations. In this iteration we substituted butternut squash, bacon and smokey cheese for the basics in Pioneer Woman’s recipe.
We purchased butternut squash pre-cut. The biggest hassle with using it as an ingredient is the peeling and chopping. Buying pre-cut eliminates the issue. Steamed ahead of the casserole, it should be just soft when going into the oven.
Bacon and smokey cheese are always a good combination. We decided the bacon could be cooked a little longer, until just crisp, to add more texture.
You can tell the eggs are organic by the variation in color of the eggs, and the deep rich yolk color.
- The pre-cut butternut squash was $1.99 for a 12oz pack or $1 per serve
- We used half the $2.84 pack of ‘Dutch smoked cheese’ (not Gouda!) or 71c per serve
- Eggs are 50c each or $1.25 per serve
- We used bacon ends and pieces where the pack was $3.49 but we used about 1/3 or 58c per serve
- A pint of half and half is $1.49 and half was used or 37c per serve
- Add 5c for seasoning.
Tonight’s dinner cost $3.96 per serve. The squash, bacon and cheese is an excellent combination.