We ended up shooting an unscheduled Lunch with Philip and Greg, since our guest was staying with us, so we had Mushroom Barley ‘Risotto’. Technically not a risotto because it uses barley instead of Arborio rice, but the result is a rich and creamy like risotto. Cooked in the pressure cooker for speed.
It’s more filling than you’d think, and the recipe makes more than six servings.
- Two packs of fresh, sliced mushrooms cost $3.99 a pack, or $2 a serve
- The pearl barley is $4.89 for a 28 oz bag, or 61c per serve
- Two cups of broth is half a $1.99 carton or 17c per serve
- The packet of parmesan cost $6.99 but we used about 1/8 for three servings, or 29c per serve
- Add another 20c for onion, oil and herbs.
Lunch today cost $3.27 per serve.
Since we were (finally) shooting the last part of our Filet Americain video we started in September in Amsterdam on preparing meat in the USA, we had to prepare it again to shoot that part.
This is the same recipe we prepared last Saturday, although we prepared less this time.
- The Sirloin was sourced locally for $11.10, or $3.70 per serve
- The shallot added 98c or 17c per serve
- Mayonnaise cost $3.49 for the jar, and 1/5 was used, or 12c per serve
- Worcestershire sauce is $4.13 per jar but only two tablespoons (not four) were used which works out to 5c per serve.
- Similarly mustard adds 7c per serve.
- The bread was $2.00 or 50c per serve (for four, with one left over)
- Our side salad cost an additional 30c to prepare.
Dinner tonight cost $4.91 per serve.