Time for a trip to the next County to get a baguette and liverwurst. Although there is a Jons market closer, the freeway makes the one in Simi Valley quicker to get to.
We chose three topping: liverwurst; Wildbrine Fermented Madras Curry & Cauliflower Sauerkraut and cheddar; mayo, egg and cornichon.
You can tell from the color of the yolk these are pastured eggs. Chickens that eat an appropriate mix of bugs and foliage have richer yolk color.
- The bread was $2.99 or 75c per serve.
- The cheddar is $5.99 for the 8oz block or 75c per 1 oz serve
- The sauerkraut was $6.99 for 18 oz or 39c per serve
- Eggs are 50c each, and we each had one
- The liverwurst is $3.11 for the and we had about 1/6th each or 52c per serve
- Add another 12c for mayo and cornichon.
Lunch today cost $3.03 per serve.
We still have quite a lot of mushroom barley risotto from Sunday’s lunch, so we paired that with two pressure cooked lamb shanks. These came less well trimmed than we have been used to, and did not cook quite as well. As a result they were a little tougher than usual. They were also significantly cheaper than usual.
We used blue cheese crumbles instead of parmesan and it really works much better with the mushroom barley risotto and lamb, than the parmesan.
- The two lamb shanks were $7.42 or $3.71 each
- Two packs of fresh, sliced mushrooms cost $3.99 a pack, or $2 a serve
- The pearl barley is $4.89 for a 28 oz bag, or 61c per serve
- Two cups of broth is half a $1.99 carton or 17c per serve
- Blue cheese comes in a $6.99 tub, and we finished off about 1/8 of the tub or 44c per serve
- Add another 20c for onion, oil and herbs.
Dinner tonight cost $7.13 per serve.