For lunch a toasted onion bagel, avocado and wild caught smoked salmon.
- Smoked salmon is $5.99 for the 4oz pack, or $3.00 per serve
- The pack of six onion bagels is $1.99 or 33c per serve
- The avocado was a bargain at 39c or 20c per serve
- Add 5c for capers.
Today’s lunch cost $3.58 per serve.
A new recipe and a meatless one at that. Tonight we prepared Green Shakshuka. This is a well known North African dish usually made with a chunky, spiced tomato sauce, making it rather like Eggs in Purgatory. It’s a versatile dish so we made it with mushrooms and green leafy vegetables and a generous amount of garlic.
- Trimmed leaks are $2.99 per pack, but we only used one, so 75c per serve
- Celery, oregano, cumin, oil, red pepper flakes (instead of a pepper) and garlic adds 27c per serve
- Instead of the individual greens, we purchased a pack of mixed organic leafy greens for $1.99 or $1.00 per serve
- Two packs of fresh, sliced mushrooms cost $3.99 a pack, or $2 a serve
- The crumbled feta is $2.79 per pack, but we only used 1/3 or 47c per serve
- Pastured eggs cost 50c each or $1.00 per serve
- Two slices of cobblestone bread – 10 slices for $2.49 – adds 50c per serve.
Tonight’s meat free meal cost $5.99 per serve and was really good.