We used theTrader Joe’s Just Chicken’ again.
- The $6.99 chicken pack contains six serves, or $1.17 a serve
- The flatbread is 50c
- Hummus is $3.99 per container and we used about 1/6 or 33c per serve
- Today’s salad was a repeat of the Kale and Broccoli pack we had a couple of days ago. The pack is $2.49 and for today’s lunch we used 1/4 or 32c per serve.
Lunch today cost $2.32 per serve.
Since we now have a smoker and there were thin-cut pork chops in our Prather Ranch delivery, the decision was obvious: smoke the pork chops! First a brine to ensure the result was tender and juicy.
Serve with a modified version of Nigela Lawson’s Double Potato Haloumi Bake substituting Granny Smith apples for the potato, after all pork and apple is almost a cliche. It’s a great modification but we would put the apple in about half way through cooking, rather than for the full duration. The recipe makes six serves.
- The pork chops were $9.95 or 12oz or $4.98 per serve
- We used the whole $3.76 packet of halloumi, or 63c per serve
- Sweet potato cost $2.10 or 35c per serve
- The large red onion cost $1.10 or 18c per serve
- Red and Green peppers cost $1.49 or 25c per serve
- The organic Granny Smith apple cost $2.63 or 44c per serve
- The whole 50c head of garlic was used, or 8c per serve
Dinner tonight cost $1.93 for the side and $4.98 or the protein or $6.91 per serve. The smoked pork chop may not have looked as appealing as one fried off, but the taste and texture were amazingly good.