Sunday lunch and another smoked salmon bagel. This time with capers, tomato and cucumber as a closed sandwich.
- Smoked salmon is normally $5.99 for the 4oz pack, but we still have some from when it was on special at $1 off, with another $1 coupon, or $2 a serve
- The pack of six onion bagels is $1.99 or 33c per serve
- Cream cheese is about 60c a serve
- We split 1/6 of the $3.99 pack of kumato tomatoes, or 33c per serve
- 1 lb of Persian cucumbers was $1.99, of which one went into this meal, or 12c per serve
- Add 5c for capers.
Lunch today cost $3.43 per serve.
Still experimenting with the stovetop smoker, we smoked some Pork Spare Ribs and served it with an Apple Coleslaw: still with cabbage but also some Julienne apple. With a light mayonnaise and apple cider vinegar dressing.
Smoking the spare ribs gives a very different result than a slow braise. The meat was tasty and had a good texture, but it was not “fall off the bone” tender. Rather than cook a sauce we tried Trader Joe’s Organic Sriracha & Roasted Garlic BBQ Sauce, which is a good balance of spicy, salty and sweet, with a hint of garlic.
- 1.7lb of Pork Spare Ribs cost $10.84, but the actual meat serve is more like 6oz per serve doe $5.42
- Trader Joes’s BBQ Rub and seasoning (coffee and garlic): about 25c per serve
- One Granny Smith apple went into the slaw, or 40c per serve
- Shredded cabbage is 33c per serve
- Two carrots were 30c or 5c per serve
- Add 12c for the dressing per serve
- We used about 1/8 of the $2.99 bottle, or 19c per serve.
Dinner tonight cost $6.76 per serve.