Although Foodies Greg had some for lunch on Monday, there was still plenty of the Summer Corn Chowder for two lunch serves. We beefed it up with a little pickled red pepper. It did what we expected, and offset the sweetness of the dish. We will go further with the pepper next time.
- The soup is $1.34 per serve
- We used less than 1/4 of the $4.99 jar of roast bell peppers (a.k.a. capsicum in Australia) or 63c per serve.
Lunch today cost $1.97 per serve.
Time to use the chicken legs – thigh and drumstick – from this week’s supermarket chicken. We served with a German-style potato salad with green beans and a mustard-based dressing and no mayonnaise.
Having no microwave we steamed the potatoes and beans, then used the same steamer to heat the chicken. For the record steaming the two chicken legs took eight minutes in the steamer. It would have taken at least six in the microwave.
- One quarter of the chicken is $2.50 per serve
- The beans were 99c which made four portions or 25c per serve
- The $3.99 ‘Peewee Potato Mix’ from Whole Foods looks adorable and made four portions or $1.00 per serve
- Add 10c per serve for oil and mustard.
We heaped on some of my brother’s home-made tomato chutney, which was the perfect accompaniment for the chicken. Dinner tonight cost $3.85 per serve.