Another trip to a hardware store placed us near a Popeye’s so that’s what we had.
- Eight pieces of chicken were $12.99, but that makes four serves in all, making each serve $3.25.
- The large Red beans and rice was $3.99 and we shared that for $2 a serve.
In total, lunch was $5.25 a serve.
Hot weather makes salads an appealing choice, but the problem is to find a cold salad that is also interesting. Tonight we tried Giada De Laurentiis’ White Bean and Tuna Salad, but made a half serve for the two of us.
Since most of the ingredients are stored at room temperature, we chilled down the can of beans before making the salad. We skipped the basil because Foodie Philip isn’t fond of it.
- The Yellowfin Tuna in Olive Oil cost $2.29 for the can, or $1.10 per serve
- The can of beans was 89c or 45c per serve
- The pack of baby lettuce was $1.99 but we only used half, or 50c per serve
- The grape tomatoes were 99c per pack and we used half, or 25c per serve
- Add 20c for the onion and seasonings.
Dinner tonight cost $2.50 per serve. Frankly the salad is a little boring, particularly after the exciting dishes of the last two nights.