After wasting time waiting for a table at Brent’s Deli and finding ultimately that the promised wait time was, at best, optimistic we decided on supermarket sushi, since that was out next destination anyway.
- Lunch today cost $11.24 per serve
What to do with a beautiful, organic cos lettuce, when you just had a meat delivery that included organic bacon? Salade Lyonnaise is a simple salad that originated in Lyon, France. It’s really tasty.
As an alternative for croutons we took par baked bread, cubed it and baked it off. Not as crispy hard as most croutons, but better suited for mopping ups the deliciousness that is the combination of the bacon fat dressing and the egg yolk. When frying off the bacon, retain the fat to use in the dressing instead of olive oil.
We choose pastured eggs over organic, since a chicken is supposed to have a varied, and bug-filled, diet, which isn’t possible if you’re guaranteeing organic!
- An organic lettuce is about $1.99, but we used half, or 50c per serve
- A pastured egg is 50c each, with the average of our two serves being 75c
- The par-baked bread is $2.50 for the loaf, and we turned 1/4 into croutons, or 32c per serve
- The bacon comes from our Prather Ranch meat delivery, so it a little more expensive, but it’s full of flavor and we can be comfortable that the animals were raised humanely. At $1 a rasher, it was $2.00 per serve.
Dinner tonight cost $3.87 and was perfect.