For lunch we decided to build on some Trader Joe’s Whole Grain Crispbread, which we really enjoy and is reminiscent of European grain bread. On top of that we built either a Danish Blue Castello, with sliced pear, or cream cheese, capers and smoked salmon.
- A pack of 10 Crispbreads is $2.99 and we had three each, or 90c per serve
- The cream cheese block is $1.69, but we used only a quarter or 22c per serve
- The blue castello was $4.30 and we used 1/3 in the meal, or 72c per serve
- Trader Joe’s wild caught smoked sockeye salmon is $5.99 a pack, or $3.00 per serve
- The pear was 70c or 35c per serve.
Lunch today cost $5.19 per serve, but we’re living ‘high on the hog’ with this one.
A return to a favorite: Seared Tune on Crunchy Thai Salad. We simplified a little, leaving out the bock choy and cilantro, but added Chili Lime Cashews for a little extra crunch.
We added pan seared Ahi Tuna on top.
- 12oz of frozen Ahi Tuna $7.67 for two filets. We shared one filet which works out to $1.92 per serve
- Sugar snap peas are $3.99 and we used half, or $1.00 per serve
- Mint came from our garden
- An organic bell pepper was $1.63 and we used half, or 41c per serve
- Mung beans sprints are 79c and we used a tiny fraction, or 10c per serve
- A Persian cucumber is 97c, or 24c per serve
- Green onions cost 79c for the bunch and we used about 1/3 or 14c per serve
- A Napa cabbage is $0.90. We halved it to give 22c per serve
- Add 30c for the dressing ingredients
- We used about 1/4 of the $6.99 pack of Chili Lime Cashews, or $1.17 per serve.
This is an amazing salad, and the tuna was good quality for the price. Dinner tonight cost $5.36.