A cool day pushed us toward something warm for lunch, so we did our version of a quesadilla made with flatbread, and added half a chicken breast to it.
- The chicken breast cost $1.25
- One flatbread (half of two) costs 50c a serve
- Half a can of refried beans, shared across two halves: 26c
- 2 oz of cheddar split between two is 50c per serve.
Lunch today cost $2.51 per serve.
Thursday night is – traditionally – our ‘steak’ night. Tonight we dined on aged rib eye from our Prather Ranch meat delivery, with crash hot potatoes and creamed mixed greens.
We also experimented with some creamed stinging nettle as we have so much growing in our yard, fresh and ready to eat. Gloves are definitely needed for harvesting and processing, but the result is pretty good. Like other greens but with more flavor. We’ll definitely be revisiting the nettle growth again.
- Rib eye was $20.47 or $10.24 per serve
- Cream was $2.49 for a pint, or $1.25 per serve
- Organic green were $1.99 or $1.00 per serve
- Potatoes run around 30c per serve.
Dinner tonight was simple, but tasty. At $12.79 it wasn’t the cheapest meal, but compared with a steakhouse it’s reasonable, particularly considering the quality of the ingredients.