Time for another supermarket chicken of which we used half of a breast. We used the remaining salad from two nights ago in the wrap.
- Wholemeal wrap is 50c
- Hummus is $3.99 per container and we used about 1/6 or 33c per serve
- The salad kit was $2.49 but we used half, or 63c per serve
- The chicken is $9.99. Divided into four portions or $2.50 each, one breast is split into two serves, or $1.25 per serve.
Lunch today was $2.71 per serve.
Winter weather calls for a return to warming winter food: tonight bacon, black bean and beef chili. The chili is great and makes four serves.
- Bacon cost $6.99 for the container, but this recipe used about 1/3 of that, or 58c per serve
- Onion and garlic – about 5c a serve
- The beef we used is expensive – pasture raised, dry aged ground beef from our monthly meat delivery – at $9.04 or $2.26 a serve
- Spices – about 12c a serve
- Diced fire roasted tomatoes are $2.19 the can, or 55c per serve
- Tomato paste was 89c or 23c a serve
- The beans were 99c a can, or 50c a serve
- Cheese was 55c per serve
- Instead of sour cream we used guacamole ($2.99) mixed with a tiny amount of sour cream. We used half the guacamole across two serves -75c – with about 10c per serve of sour cream, or 85c per server
All up dinner cost us $4.84 for a very filling serve. We served with an English muffin, which adds 50c per serve to bring the total to $5.34 per serve.