With rain pending and a generally gray day, a warming meat pie seemed to fit the bill well.
Trader Joe’s Steak and Stout pies are $6.49 for two or $3.25 per serve.
Our plans changed at the last minute and we ultimately created a variation on the Lemon Chicken Orzo soup recipe. We had no lemon so substituted some labne – a fresh yoghurt cheese, rather like sour cream – to add some tartness. We served with a toasted slice of the sprouted multigrain bread.
- Carrots cost 25c or 7c per serve
- Celery, thyme, oil and garlic adds 15c per serve
- Chicken broth cost 40c per serve
- The store-bought rotisserie chicken breast is $2.50 each per quarter, and we used the last half breast, or 42c per serve.
- The orzo is $1.42 for a 1 lb box, but only half was used for our three serves, or 24c per serve
- Add in 12 c for the other seasonings, etc.
- A slice of the sprouted multigrain bread is 20c.
The soup was good and the toast a perfect accompaniment for $1.60 per serve.