For no other reason than it was Friday, we went to The Country Deli for lunch. Philip had his usual marinated skirt steak, and Greg a reuben sandwich. Both meals lived up to the expectation that’s been set.
Lunch cost $22.00 per serve with tax and tip.
You can’t have a reuben sandwich for lunch, and a reuben casserole for dinner, so the final serves of the casserole will wait while we have a muffuletta pasta salad. This is a recipe we’ve done before.
Rather than add pasta and then cheese Greg decided to experiment with cheese filled tortellini, which worked very well. We generally do a half recipe and go easier on the meats.
Neither of us could finish the meal at the one sitting.
- The tortellini cos $3.99 or $2.00 per serve
- The salami was also $3.99 but only half was used in the salad, or $1.00 per serve
- Black olives cost $2.40 or 60c per serve
- Green olives cost $2.40 or 60c per serve
- The bunch of organic parsley was $1.49, but we only used 1/6 or around 10c per serve
- An organic bell pepper was $1.63 or 41c per serve
- Add 25c per serve for seasoning and oil.
There was definitely a third serving available, but based on two serves, tonight’s meal cost $4.96 per serve, and provides a good blend of flavor and texture where almost every bite is a different combination. The tortellini worked exceptionally well as a combination cheese and pasta substitute.