Wild caught smoked salmon, with labné, tomato, capers and thinly sliced red onion on a toasted onion bagel. What’s not to like.
- Smoked salmon $5.99 for the 4oz pack or $3.00 a serve
- The pack of six onion bagels is $1.99 or 33c per serve
- Labne is about 40c a serve
- We used one kumato per serve or 58c
- Add 15c for capers and shallot.
Lunch today cost $4.46 a serve.
One of the common things to do with left over ham is to make mac ‘n cheese with ham and peas. Instead of using pasta we segmented then roasted an organic cauliflower. Our cheese ‘sauce’ is pretty much just cheese, grated and blended into a small amount of water with a little sodium citrate, which helps create an emulsion.
- An organic cauliflower cost $3.60 or $1.80 per serve
- We grated a 7oz block of New Zealand cheddar that cost $4.29 or $2.15 per serve
- Frozen peas are $1.29 per pack and we used half, or 33c per serve
- Ham was $1.10 per ‘serve’ but in the cheese we split it, or 55c per serve
- Add 10c for mustard and sodium citrate.
The cauliflower version of this dish has so much more flavor than plain pasta, and – thanks to the sodium citrate – being able to use real cheese with flavor instead of diluting the cheese into a béchamel sauce, elevates the dish. Dinner tonight was $4.93 per serve.