For lunch we went back to our gyro/yeros meat in a wrap.
- The fully cooked sliced gyro/yeros meat is $3.99 per 10oz pack. There are really four serves, so each serve is very slightly cheaper than the chicken, at $1.00 per serve.
- The flatbread is 50c per serve
- Hummus is $3.99 per container and we used about 1/6 or 33c per serve
- We served 1/4 of the tabouli salad or 67c per serve.
Lunch today cost $2.50.
The worst thing about ground turkey is that it is lacking in fat. This is considered a virtue by those who got the (completely wrong) message that there is something wrong with fats. But, add enough bacon to bring the combined result to 85% lean, 15% fat, and you have a winner.
We created this recipe, with the addition of half a can of chipotle and it’s pretty good. Tonight’s result was particularly light in texture and made four serves. The salad was served separately.
- Ground turkey cost $6.99 or $1.75 per serve
- Bacon adds 60c per serve
- A can of chipotle is $1.50 and we used half, or 38c per serve
- Add 65c for onion, breadcrumbs and seasonings
- The gravy was $1.79 or 80c per serve (we used it all)
- The white beans were $1.00 or 50c per serve
- The salad kit came from Ralph’s (Kroger) was $2.99 and we will get four serves from it, or 75c per serve.
Dinner tonight was $5.05 per serve. The meatloaf was excellent as was the salad kit. The garlic white bean mash was disappointing.