Our experiments continue. Today: pastrami, tomato chutney and cheese; egg with watercress.
- The sprouted wholemeal is $3.49 a loaf with 18 slices, or 39c per two slice sandwich
- The sliced pastrami is $4.99 per pack, but we’ll get three sandwiches from that, or 83c per serve
- The sliced yoghurt cheese is $4.79 a pack of 12 slices, or 80c per slice or 40c per serve
- The tomato chutney was made by Philip’s brother in Australia
- Pastured eggs are 50c each and we used labné instead of mayonnaise to create enough to make two sandwiches, or 25c per serve
- Watercress adds 5c per serve.
The sandwiches today were interesting, although we overdid the labné in the egg a little. Lunch today cost $1.92 with good variety.
Another hot day, and we still had shrimp and salad left over, so tonight was a do-over from two nights ago.
- 1 lb of shrimp is $6.99 (on special), but we only used half, or $1.75 per serve
- The fire roasted corn is $2.49 per pound but we used half, or 42c per serve
- The bell pepper is 99c or 33c per serve
- Canned black beans, Cuban style, are 99c or 33c per serve
- A large shallot and seasonings add 30c per serve.
Dinner tonight was fresh, light and tasty for $3.13 per serve.