We picked up a baguette, heirloom tomato and liverwurst from Jon’s over in Simi Valley, and made lunch out of that.
- The heirloom tomato – probably the most tomato tasting tomato we’ve had in years – was $1.79 and we pretty much finished it over lunch, or 90c per serve
- The liverwurst is $4.55 and we used about 1/3 for lunch, or 76c per serve
- The baguette was $2.69 and we used 5/8 for lunch or 84c per serve
- Add in 30c for mayo per serve.
Lunch today was $2.80 per serve.
Our meat box once again had a Boston Butt included so pulled pork it is! The salad is a new one, built on mostly fresh ingredients, that made five serves.
- At $20.50 for just over 2 lbs it makes at least six good serves, or $3.41 per serve
- Onion and garlic for the pork adds 25c per serve
- Chicken stock adds 14c per serve
- For the corn we used Trader Joes Fire Roasted frozen corn to get grill flavor, which cost $2.49 for a pound, and we used half a packet for the five serves or 25c per serve
- The black beans were 79c or 16c per serve
- Two avocados went into the salad costing $2.58 or 52c per serve
- The bell pepper was $1.26 or 25c per serve.
Tonight’s pulled pork ended up with a more caramelized flavor than usual, due to some slight dehydration of the bed of onions, but that smokey overtone, offset a little with some apple cider vinegar that also added moisture, worked well with the pulled pork. The pulled pork was $3.80 per serve, the salad $1.28, making a very satisfying meal for $5.08 per serve.