Time to finish the Popeye’s chicken – after reheating in the oven – by pairing it with a salad kit from Ralph’s.
- 10 pieces of dark and spicy chicken is $15.25 or $3.05 a serve with tax
- The kale, cabbage and dried cranberry salad kit was $2.99 and we used half for this meal, or 75c per serve.
Lunch today cost $3.80.
Although the weather is hot, our new North Terrace – our only outdoor living area – catches the breeze well and is cool enough for soup! The Dutch Mustard Soup was a hit last time we had it, so it was tonight’s choice again.
Like a creamy, mustard version of French onion soup, this recipe is outstanding. The lardons of bacon on top give it a meaty flavor and texture, without dominating the dish. The onion and leek add sweetness, offset by the sharpness of the mustard, with the sour cream (in our version) moderating the flavors.
- Bacon ends and pieces cost $3.99 or 50c per serve
- Yellow onions were $2.79 for 2 lb, or 23c per serve
- The leek was $1.38 or 35c per serve
- Add 10c for butter
- Garlic adds 5c per serve
- Sour cream adds 50c per serve
- Mustard adds 25c per serve
- Add 20c for the remaining seasoning
- The par baked roll was $2.99 normally, but this one was on run-out special for 99c, or 25c per serve.
Dinner tonight was easy to prepare, delicious and only $2.43 with the bread!