Now that we’re home from traveling, it’s back to making our own lunch. Today we went simple and did corned beef and spicy labné on village (dense) bread.
- Two slices of bread are 39c
- The corned beef was $4.99 for 8 oz, and we used about 2 oz in each sandwich, or $1.25 per serve
- Add 25c for spicy labné.
Lunch today was $1.89 per sandwich.
As we had a chuck roast, the obvious meal is a pot roast. Slow cooked until tender, the perfect pot roast recipe has a lot of flavor, particularly when you ramp up the amount of mushroom in the recipe.
Unlike Pioneer Woman, we cook the potatoes in the flavorsome liquid.
- The roast was $21.41 or $5.35 per serve
- Onions are 20c per serve
- The carrots were 69c or 18c per serve
- One cup of red wine is around $1.33 or 33c a serve
- Two cups of broth is half a $1.99 carton or 50c per serve
- The mushrooms were $1.99 or 50c a serve
- The Rosemary came from our own plant
- Add another 15c for oil, seasoning and Thyme
- Add 25c for potatoes.
Dinner tonight cost $7.06 for a hearty, warming meal.