We noticed that a Mexican restaurant near our local Ralph’s was popular with the local Fire Department. That’s usually a good sign, so we decided to stop in for heuvos rancheros, which is a good measure of a Mexican restaurant.
The atmosphere was good, and the host welcoming. The food was well prepared but the red sauce was a little bland. Overall, not bad for $9.70 per serve.
A return to an old favorite: bacon and black bean chili with all the “fixin’s”: crème fraîche, cheddar and avocado. The recipe makes six serves.
- The ground beef was $9.91 or $1.65 per serve
- The beans are $1.00 per can and we used two, or 33c per serve
- Canned tomatoes were $1.29 or 22c per serve
- Tomato paste was 79c or 13c per serve
- Bacon is $6.99 for the pack and we used half, or 39c per serve
- Add 30c per serve for seasoning
- The avocado was $3.79 (it was big) or $1.90 per serve
- The crème fraîche was $2.69 or 17c per serve
- The cheddar is $3.99 a block and we used 1/2 or $1.25 per serve.
This is a great recipe and we always enjoy it. The chili is $3.02 per serve and the toppings add $3.32 for a total of $6.34 per serve.