Returning to a couple of good sandwiches, we used more of the (less flavorsome) heirloom tomato from Trader Joe’s.
- Two slices of bread are 32c per serve
- The ham was $3.69 for and we used about 1/4 in this sandwich, or 49c per serve
- The cheese is 40c per slice or 20c per serve
- Add 25c for spicy mustard
- The heirloom tomato was $1.30 and we use half, or 33c per serve
- Add 20c for mayo.
Lunch today was ok for $1.79 per serve, but would be better if the tomato had more flavor.
A new recipe for us, Sauerkraut Sausage Paprikash, is both reminiscent of a choucroute garnie because of the sauerkraut and pork sausage aspect, and completely different because of the paprika and cream.
The recipe makes four serves.
- The bratwurst are $3.49 for the pack, or 88c per serve
- The Bubbies (natural) Sauerkraut is expensive at $6.99 or $1.75 per serve, but it is a very superior sauerkraut without the bad odor of most sauerkraut
- Sour cream cost $3.99 but we used 1/4, or 25c per serve
- The butter is $3.99 per block, and we used about 1/41/4, or 25c per serve
- Add 50c per serve for seasoning, although we added 3 times the paprika than the recipe called for.
The sauerkraut still had some crunch, which gave good textural variation, and the flavor combinations worked really well with the bratwurst. All in all a satisfying meal for $3.63 per serve.