A return to a favorite sandwich: avocado and sardine. Today’s sardines were in oil that was drained off.
- Two slices of bread are 32c per serve
- The avocado is $1.89 or 95c per serve
- Sardines in olive oil are $1.69 per can or 85c per serve.
Lunch today cost $2.12 per serve.
Although the weather is closing in, it’s still possible to grill and some sirloin tip steak from our Prather Ranch delivery went on the grill.
Two hours before the grill was warmed onion, garlic, spice and broccoli went into the oven to make slow cooked broccoli, which totally transforms the flavor of broccoli and caramelizes the onion. The recipe makes four serves. In a brilliant addition, Greg added in some pickled beets for a sharp tang.
- The steak averages $5.93 per serve
- The Valpresso feta was $9.99 for the tin, but we used 1/6, or 42c per serve
- The broccoli was $2.79 or 70c per serve
- 2lb of sweet organic onions were $2.79 and we used about 1/4 or 18c per serve
- The beets are $1.69 and we used 1/4 or 22c per serve.
- Add 15c per serve for red pepper flakes and other spices.
Tonight’s steak had good beef flavor and was more tender than we would have expected for sirloin, probably due to the dry aging. The slow cooked broccoli is a great side dish to create a great meal for $7.60 per serve.