Time to use the remaining chicken.
- Eight pieces are $16.26 including tax and we served two each, or $4.07 per serve
- Trader Joe’s Black Beans Cuban Style are 99c for the can or 50c per serve.
The chicken reheated well and the beans were pretty good for the price. All up $4.57 per serve.
Home made pea soup built on the stock remaining from our ham bone is a joy and tonight was no exception.
The bone is pressure cooked with some aromatics and water, including a bay leaf because it’s easy to find in the clear stock, but much harder to remove from the resulting soup. Since this stock is destined for the soup, it makes life a little easier.
The soup is prepared by adding split peas to the stock and pressure cooking again. Our innovation is to blend in one pound of fresh (frozen) peas at the end. It lifts the texture and provides a bright note to the flavor.
The addition of liquid smoke creates the illusion of ham even though there was no meat in this dish (other than via the meat stock, of course).
The soup recipe makes four serves.
- The stock has no real cost
- The pack of split peas was $1.59 or 27c per serve
- The frozen peas is 99c a pack, or 16c per serve.
For dinner tonight the soup cost 43c. We chose not to do a roll or bread with the soup as it is very filling on its own.