We discovered smoked trout in a similar can to sardines, and decided to give them a try. With avocado it worked really, really well. A pastrami, tabouli and spicy labné rounded out the lunch.
- Two slices of bread are 32c per serve
- The tabouli came from Jon’s and is $2.52, of which we used about 1/4 or 32c per serve
- The smoked trout was $3.99 a can or $2.00 a serve
- The avocado was 4 for $2.99, or 38c per serve
- The 2+ lbs of corned beef was $13.55 but we used about 3oz for tonight’s dish, or 62c per serve
- Add 25c for labné.
The smoked trout was particularly tasty and made a great sandwich. All up today’s lunch cost $3.89 per serve.
Every month we get a pack of “beef for fajita” in our Prather Ranch meat box, and it’s a struggle to find something interesting – and different – to do with it other than beef and broccoli stir fry!
Tonight Foodie Greg found a recipe for Black Pepper Beef, which turned out really well. It’s great to have a ‘background’ flavor like black pepper take a staring role.
- The beef was $19.39 (for over a pound) or $9.70 per serve
- The pack of bell peppers was $1.99 or $1.00 per serve
- Onion and garlic add 25c per serve
- Add 50c for the other ingredients
- Add 30c for rice.
Tonight’s stir fry was expensive at $11.75 but it was really tasty, and the beef was tender.