It was time to use the last two pieces of our Reuben Casserole at $2.76 per serve.
We have been impressed by smoked trout lately. First at the RAI in Amsterdam at IBC, and recently with the canned smoked trout on lunch sandwiches. Foodie Greg wondered how the smoke trout would work on a classic Nicoise Salad.
The answer: brilliantly. Without a doubt the best nicoise we’ve ever had.
- The smoked trout is $3.49 per serve
- An egg is normally 55c but they are on special for 33c per serve
- The green beans were $2.99 but we used about half, or 75c per serve
- The cherry tomatoes were $3.49, but we used about half, or 88c per serve
- Potatoes add 30c per serve
- Add 35c per serve for the dressing ingredients.
As I said, tonight was the best nicoise salad we’ve ever had. The smoked trout costs about the same as good canned tuna but has a lot more flavor. We used the oil from the trout in the dressing, which carried the smokey flavor through the whole dish. Definitely to be repeated for $6.10 per serve.