We decided to use some of the remaining bacon and black bean chili in a couple of toasted sandwiches, along with avocado and cheese.
- Two slices of bread are 32c per serve
- 12 slices of yoghurt cheese are $4.79 and we shared one or 20c per serve
- The avocado was 4 for $3.49 or 44c per serve
- The chili is $2.86 per serve, and we shared about 1/6 or 24c per serve.
A good toasted sandwich for $1.20 per serve.
We’ve substituted canned smoked trout for tuna in a couple of recipes, and been pleased with the results, so why not adapt the Greek Style Tuna Salad and use smoked trout.
We definitely preferred this salad with the smoked trout over canned tuna. By a lot.
- The smoked trout is $3.49 per serve
- Persian cucumber cost 72c or 36c per serve
- A bell pepper is $1.13 or 67c per serve
- Tomatoes were $2.99 and we used about half, or 75c per serve
- Pitted olives come in $2.99 jars and one quarter was used, or 38c per serve
- 1 lb of limes was $1.29 and we used 1/4 or 16c per serve
- Add 25c for the seasonings.
With the substitution of the smoked tuna, this really exceeded our expectations. It was much more tasty than the simple ingredients would suggest and it comes in at $6.06 per serve.