We still had two generous serves of the Cauliflower Gruyère Soup from a few nights ago, so we reheated it for lunch and served with half a toasted tomato sandwich for a little role reversal. It’s quite common to serve tomato soup with a toasted cheese sandwich, so cheese soup with a tomato sandwich seemed like a clever idea.
It was a better idea than in practice. Definitely not bad, but it wasn’t terribly exciting.
- The soup was $4.50 per serve
- One slice of bread are 16c per serve
- Five kumato were $3.49 and we used one or 35c per serve.
Lunch today was a little more expensive than usual, but the soup seemed to have taken on more gruyere flavor. Not bad for $5.01 per serve.
With more fillet mignon in our Prather Ranch meat box, we decided to return to the black pepper beef. Although fillet is an expensive choice for this dish, it needs flavor from somewhere and, because the fillet comes in our Prather Ranch meat box it’s not something we chose.
- Just over half a pound of fillet was $17.09 or $8.55 per serve
- The pack of bell peppers was $1.99 or $1.00 per serve
- Onion and garlic add 25c per serve
- Add 50c for the other ingredients
- Add 33c for black rice.
The fillet was a really good choice for the stir fry (cost notwithstanding) because it remains tender through a quick fry, and picks up the flavor from the sauce. A good meal for $10.66 per serve.