For lunch we finished the split pea soup we had in the refrigerator, and a serve of chicken and wild rice soup.
Lunch today cost $1.85 per serve.
A small New Year’s Eve celebration with the two of us, a prime rib and some sparkling red wine!
We slow cooked the prime rib then gave it a hard reheat just before serving that gave us a nice crust, while inside it was cooked rare. We paired it with mashed sweet potato – the Japanese white variety that isn’t as sweet – with horseradish and sour cream, and green beans with more of the truffled almonds from Christmas night.
- Over three pounds of prime rib cost $39.69 and we’ll get five very, very generous serves (or they will be subdivided) for $7.94 per 11 oz serve
- The sweet potato was $2.89 or $1.45 per serve
- Sour cream is $2.49 and we used 1/4 in the mash, or 63c per serve
- The green beans were $2.99 or $1.50 per serve
- A jar of gravy was $1.79 or 90c per serve
- Add 30c for horseradish
- Add 55c for the truffled almonds.
Our New Year’s Eve dinner was classic and cost $13.27 per serve, which is cheap compared with a steak house, and we didn’t have to dress up or drive!