A gray, windy day is soup weather and today Trader Joe’s Clam Chowder, made with half and half, and a freshly baked rustic roll really hit the spot.
- Par-baked roll is 63c
- The clam chowder is $1.69 a can or 85c per serve
- The Half and Half is $1.39 per pint, and we used 3/4 or 53c per serve.
It was a very satisfying lunch for $2.01 per serve.
Thursday night “steak” night was dedicated to pork chops from our Prather Ranch meat delivery. Two small chops were souse vidé to just below cooked, then fried off in butter to get a golden brown finish, over which we drizzled a balsamic reduction.
We served with baked kabocha squash, which was new for us, and sugar snap peas. We liked the squash. The skin was crispy and the flesh full of flavor without being at all mealy.
- The pork chops were $12.89 or $6.45 per serve
- The kabocha squash was $1.74 but we only served half, or 44c per serve
- Sugar snap peas were $3.99 but we only used half, or $1.00 per serve.
A thoroughly enjoyable meal with a good balance between the pork, squash and sugar snap peas. The combination of peas and squash was particularly good. Most enjoyable for $7.89 per serve.